Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35

Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35
An Old Classic

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Cape Horn Self Steer Installed, New Batteries, and New Varnish

I received the Cape Horn Windvane Self Steering gear about a week ago and took the time to install it last week.  I ordered the outboard model and it was fairly easy to install.  It took me two days working alone and it looks to be a pretty good installation.
I also ordered a tiller head from the CapeHorn Company and it fit perfectly and will enable me to steer with either the windvane or a tiller handle which I can easily bolt onto the tiller head.
I also added a teak rack in front of the windshield just in case I needed an extra spot to hold a solar panel or other gear I might lash down on top.
I had time to put another coat of varnish on the interior.  I will probably apply one more good coat and call it good.

I also installed my two Lifeline 4D AGM batteries giving me about 450 amp/hours of power for cold drinks on those hot days. I thought I got a real good price from BD Batteries out of Denver.  They also shipped free! 

I am ordering the engine within the month and hopefully get her in the water by no later than September.

1 comment:

Seth Johns said...

Which Cape Horn model did you install?