Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35

Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35
An Old Classic

Friday, July 8, 2011

My thoughts on Restoring a Classic Cruiser

I am now in my fourth year in the restoration of a 1974 Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35.  I knew it was  going to be a very time consuming and physically demanding project and I had allotted 5 years to complete it.  I guess in the back of my mind the thought was I would surely finish in three.  But the work continues and the years click by.  It will take five years.  But overall it has been a hell of a journey and I have learned some things; I must be crazy and boat restoration is a hell of a lot of work!

I like this boat (as far as construction goes. I have yet to sail one).  It is simple and that was one of the main reason I chose this model to restore.  It is built tough.  The sail plan is on the low power end, great for solo sailing.  And I like the old school looks of the Rasmus.  I don't like the fact that it was built in halves, the hydraulic steering, and the iron keel.  But overall I am pleased with what I have learned about the construction of this boat through the years of working on it.

I am now in the nitty gritty of keel repair, meaning I will be on my back under the keel pressing fiberglass on the bottom of the keel while epoxy drips all over the place.  I will be in long pants and shirt, tyvek suit, hood, and full face respirator in the 100 degree summer heat of Arkansas.  It is not much fun. But this is the last of the grunt work and she will look like new by the end of the year with new exterior paint throughout.

Cheers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I have been following your restoration on your excelent page. Great work!

One thing about the fact that the boat is build in two halves. Since I am interrested in the Rasmus too, I asked HR about this and they told me that they have build a total of 8500 hulls untill now and never had a problem.

What I don't like about the Rasmus is that you potentially run the risk of flooding her if the valves for the cocpit drainage are closed.

I sailed one in Denmark last week. Wind was about 5 gusts 7. She sails like on rails and is quite fast too!

Cheers, CapnEvan

Pat Sixbey said...

CapnEvan
Thanks for the comment. I have never sailed a Rasmus but bought one because of positive comments from people that have. I should have mine in the water in October or November if all goes well.
Cheers
Pat