Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35

Hallberg Rassy Rasmus 35
An Old Classic

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Communication Problem with Beta Marine

Well, I have spent over $800 on the wrong size custom engine mounts from Beta Marine just because Beta didn't tell me that I had to subtract for the flexible mounts to be used in the installation.  The HR Rasmus 35 does not have long flat engine beds, so it is impossible to use Beta Marine's measurement worksheet that they provide in ordering custom engine mounts. But I had my original engine, the Volvo MD21A, and asked if I could take measurements off of it.  Beta said no problem.  I had the engine head off so I had a nice flat surface to extend a straight edge from it to get the measurements for the engine mounts and transmission coupling.  In all the conversations I had with Beta never was I told that the flexible engine mounts used in the installation needed to be taken into the measurements.  So when I received my final drawing from Beta to sign off on, I focused my attention on the dimension figures, which all were correct, but failed to notice that the dimension lines for the height of the engine mounts terminated at the base of the flexible mounts, not the engine mounts(feet), a difference of about a 1/4 inch on the drawing.  This mistake led to an engine that sets 2 1/2 inches too low.  I argued my point with Beta and they gave me a discount on new custom engine feet(not enough in my opinion).  So now I am ordering new custom feet from Beta Marine and have a few weeks before they are delivered.  So my hassle free engine installation has turned into a hassle.  I will move on to some interior woodwork projects as I wait.

Cheers
Pat

3 comments:

Cabatach said...

What are you doing with the old engine

May be interested in a couple of (smaller) parts, ancillaries mostly.

Won't mention which bits are hard to find / costly till I hear your answer

Pat Sixbey said...

Yes I will let you have what you need Euan.

Swells said...

Sorry to hear it, Pat. Hang in there!